Betting at a roulette table starts after the dealer says "Place your bets" and lasts while the ball is spinning on the wheel. The players are forbidden to place any bets once the ball starts landing, after the dealer announces "No more bets".
There are usually betting limits at each roulette table that are explained on the special mark near the betting grid.
At the roulette table players can make two types of bets, which differ in the range of the numbers to bet on and the payouts - these are inside and outside bets. Let's learn more about each type of roulette bets.
Inside Roulette Bets
Inside bets are roulette bets placed inside the numbered grid of roulette table layout. These are the following bets:
- Straight-up bet: (quantity of numbers - 1) a bet on a single number. To make Straight-up bet the player must place the chips in the middle of any number square.
- Split bet: (quantity of numbers - 2) a two number bet. A chip is placed on the line between two adjoining numbers on the roulette table
- Street bet: (quantity of numbers - 3) a three number bet. Chip is placed on the edge of the outside line of the numbers the player is betting on.
- Corner (or square) bet: (quantity of numbers - 4). The player places the chip on the intersection of lines between four numbers that he or she wants to bet on.
- Six line bet: (quantity of numbers - 6) a bet that covers six numbers or two lines. The chip is to be placed on the edge of an intersection of two lines.
There are also extra bets that can be found in some casinos at American roulette table, but are not common for most games:
6. Trio bet: (quantity of numbers - 3) a bet that covers the numbers 0, 1, 2 or 00, 2, 3.
7. Five number bet: (quantity of numbers - 5) a bet which covers five numbers - 0, 00, 1, 2 and 3.
Outside Roulette Bets
Outside bets are roulette bets that are placed outside the numbered grid on the roulette table and cover groups of numbers. The basic roulette strategy states that it is better to start the game with outside bets with higher probabilities of winning than the inside ones.
8. Low bet (1 to 18): a bet that the ball will land on a number from 1 - 18.
9. High bet (19 to 36): a bet that the ball will land on a number from 19 - 36.
10. Red or Black bet: a bet that the winning number will be red or black.
11. Even or Odd bet: a bet on an even or odd number.
12. Dozen bet: a bet on either the first (1-12), second (13-24), or third (25-36) twelve numbers.
13. Column bet: a bet on 12 numbers on any of the three lines on the roulette table (like the 1st line - 1-4-7-10 through to 34). The chip should be placed on the square below the last number in this line.
There are also call bets (or also called announced) used at French-style roulette table. If you are going to play roulette with additional call bets allowed, learn their payouts to understand the game odds. We offer you to use our roulette cheat sheet which explains all the betting options in roulette and is always within easy reach.
Like in any casino game, the players should follow betting etiquette rules in order to respect the casino, the dealer and the players at the same roulette table. To be polite you need to stick to these rules:
- Sit at the roulette table only after you have familiarized yourself with the roulette rules of the table/casino so that you do not bother the dealer with questions
- Place bets when it is allowed - after the dealer says "Place your bets" and stop when he announces that no more bets can be made
- Don't touch the wagered chips or the table layout after the dealer says "No more bets"
- Don't touch the chips and bets of other players
- Let the dealer make any payouts and never sweep the winnings from the table yourself
- Respect other players and don't smoke at the table if there are non-smokers
- Be polite and don't yell in the casino or at the dealer
- Don't forget to tip the dealer